Corn Vada ~ Andhra Style
- sweet corn
- bengal gram
- BIT corn kernels – 1 cup+1/4 cup
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup, soak in 1 cup water for an hour
- Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Green chillis – 2,
- Ginger – 1/2″
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
METHOD FOR MAKING CORN VADA ~ ANDHRA STYLE
- Grind the corn kernels (1 cup) and the soaked and drained chana dal, green chilies and ginger to a coarse paste adding about 1-2 tbsps of water.
- Remove to a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of boiled sweet corn, chopped onions, coriander leaves, cumin seeds and salt and mix well.
- Form lemon sized balls with the mixture. Flatten it on your palm to make a patti shape. Prepare patties with the rest of the mixture. Keep in fridge for 10 mts.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once its hot, reduce flame to medium and slolwy place the patties in the oil and fry them on both sides to a golden brown color.
- Serve warm with tomato sauce or any chutney of your choice.
- CORN CUTLET
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp BIT corn, fresh / frozen
- 2 potato, boiled & mashed
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ¼ capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ginger paste / adrak paste
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- ½ tsp 1 tbsp besan / chickpea flour, roasted
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp pepper, crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- oil for deep frying
Instructions (1 cup =255 ml)
- Firstly, in a small blender take boiled corn or frozen corn.
- Further blend to coarse paste without adding any water.
- Transfer the paste to a large mixing bowl.
- Also add boiled and mashed potato.
- Additionally add onion, capsicum, chilli and ginger paste.
- Furthermore add spices and salt.
- Also add ¼ cup bread crumbs. or crumble fresh bread.
- add in 1 tbsp roasted besan / gram flour and coriander leaves
- Continue adding 1 tbsp corn flour, 2 tbsp of boiled corn and crushed black pepper.
- Also add lemon juice.
- Combine everything well to form a dough.
- Add in more bread crumbs if there is to much moisture.
- Make sure to have a non sticky dough.
- Further, make bullet shaped kebabs greasing hands with oil.
- Deep fry them into hot oil.
- Stir occasionally and fry till the kebabs turn golden brown on medium flame.
- Finally, serve corn kebabs with tomato sauce and few slices of onion.
- Firstly, add any vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
- Also, refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes, before frying to avoid kebabs breaking in oil.
- Additionally, adjust the amount of green chilli if you do not like spiciness.
- Finally, crispy corn cutlet taste great when deep fried as they turn crunchy.
- BIT Corn cobs (tender):- 2
- Beaten curd: – 1 cup
- Green chilies:- 4
- Garam masala:- ½ tsp
- Ginger piece:- 1 inch
- Cumin powder:- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds:- 1 tsp
- Salt:- To taste
- Chili powder:- To taste
- Turmeric powder:- ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves:- Few springs
- Oil: – 3 tbsp
- Water: – 1 cup
- Deep bottomed pan
- Serving bowl
Preparation Method:-In a processor, grind chilies and ginger together.Take curd and water in a bowl and beat it till it becomes smooth.Finely grate the corn.Heat 3 tbsp. of oil in a pan and put cumin seeds.Add corn and stir-fry for five minutes.Mix ginger paste, all the spices and salt in it. Combine well and cook.Put curd in it and cook covered till the corn gets completely cooked. Then switch off the heat.
Serving Suggestions:-Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
Sweet Corn Soup
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Onion2, finely chopped
- Garlic1 clove, finely chopped
- Chilli pepper1, cut into rings
- Potato300 g floury, peeled and cubed
- Cornflour2 tbsp
- White wine100 ml
- Vegetable stock500 ml
- Milk 300 ml
- Bay 4 fresh leaves
- BIT Sweet corn 400 g, frozen or tinned
- Pepper Freshly milled